Tuesday 12 December 2017

Review: E L James's "Darker: Fifty Shades Darker as told by Christian (Fifty Shades as Told by Christian #2)."


Synopsis: 

E L James revisits the world of Fifty Shades with a deeper and darker take on the love story that has enthralled millions of readers around the globe.

Their scorching, sensual affair ended in heartbreak and recrimination, but Christian Grey cannot get Anastasia Steele out of his mind, or his blood. Determined to win her back, he tries to suppress his darkest desires and his need for complete control, and to love Ana on her own terms.

But the horrors of his childhood still haunt him, and Ana’s scheming boss, Jack Hyde, clearly wants her for himself. Can Christian’s confidant and therapist, Dr. Flynn, help him face down his demons? Or will the possessiveness of Elena, his seducer, and the deranged devotion of Leila, his former submissive, drag Christian down into the past?

And if Christian does win Ana back, can a man so dark and damaged ever hope to keep her?

Review: Jo 

As a huge Fifty Shades fan, I have had this book on pre-order as soon as it was possible to do so. When "Darker" landed on my kindle at midnight, I was so excited and started reading immediately. I can't remember the last time I was so eager to start a new book. I absolutely loved "Grey" and couldn't wait for this second opportunity to get inside Christian Grey's head. I was more than ready to revisit some of my favourite scenes from FSD and to discover what Christian was truly thinking and feeling during certain parts of the story. It was pretty clear that things had changed so much for Mr Grey and I quickly noticed a big difference in how much power Ana now had in their relationship. I also loved learning how desperate Christian was to have Ana back in his life. She held all of the cards from the very beginning of this instalment.

"I’m feeling my way in this relationship. It’s new to me. I don’t know the rules. 
And right now, all I want is to take care of Ana and give her the world."

Another change from Christian was a more softer and caring approach. Gone was the cold and arrogant man that I met at the beginning of Grey. Falling in love with Ana had truly changed Christian for the better and it was a joy to see. Because it has been a while since I had read or listened to the Fifty Shades series on audio, I had completely forgotten about how many gorgeous scenes there were in this trilogy and I absolutely adored reading them all over again from Christian's perspective. It made me realise how much was missed out of the film. I also loved rereading those emails. They will NEVER get old for me. They make me swoon like crazy every single time. Reading this book was like peeling off the layers that surrounded the delicious Mr Grey and uncovering every little new thing about him. I loved reading the parts of the story that made me chuckle as I realised how immature Christian could be, but there was also moments that broke my heart when I discovered how negative Christian was towards himself. He truly was a tortured soul. And of course, there were many flashbacks included in this story, both from Christian's childhood and from his earlier time spent with Mrs Robinson. 

"...here she is, doing what no one’s ever done. Kissing me. Accepting me. 
Accepting this dark, dark side of me. She’s slaying my demons. 
My brave girl. My beautiful brave girl."

If you have loved this trilogy as much as me, this book is a must. E L James has once again delivered another book that I fell madly in love with. You won't be disappointed. Now I'm left wanting more so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that E L will write Freed from Christian's POV too.

"She is the love of my life. It will only ever be Ana."

"Darker" gets ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ from me. 




No comments:

Post a Comment