Friday 6 October 2017

Duet Review: Aly Martinez's "The Darkest Sunrise duet."

The Darkest Sunrise: Duet

Amazon.com:    http://amzn.to/2yXbviu
Amazon UK:     http://amzn.to/2ymXgXg

The Darkest Sunrise: Book 1 Synopsis:

Sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will never harm me.
Whoever coined that phrase is a bald-faced liar. Words are often the sharpest weapon of all, triggering some of the most powerful emotions a human can experience.
“You’re pregnant.”
“It’s a boy.” 
“Your son needs a heart transplant.”
Sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will never harm me.
Lies.
Syllables and letters may not be tangible, but they can still destroy your entire life faster than a bullet from a gun.
Two words—that was all it took to extinguish the sun from my sky.
“He’s gone.” 
For ten years, the darkness consumed me.
In the end, it was four deep, gravelly words that gave me hope of another sunrise. 
“Hi. I’m Porter Reese.”

The Brightest Sunset: Book 2 Synopsis:

Sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will never harm me.
Bullshit.
Words destroyed me. 
“I’m sorry. She didn’t make it.”
“Daddy, he can’t breathe!” 
“There’s nothing more we can do for your son.”
Sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will never harm me.
Lies.
Those syllables and letters became my executioner. I told myself that, if I didn’t acknowledge the pain and the fear, they would have no power over me. But, as the years passed, the hate and the anger left behind began to control me.
Two words—that was all it took to plunge my life into darkness.
“He’s gone.” 
In the end, it was four soft, silky words that gave me hope of another sunrise. 
“Hi. I’m Charlotte Mills.”

Review: Surj

When your entire world was pitch-black, 
even the tiniest flicker looked like a lighthouse…

The First book in Aly Martinez's "The Darkest Sunrise" was "almost" a DNF for me. Although the premise of the story sounded fantastic, unfortunately the delivery was just not holding my attention and I found myself putting the book down several times. For a relatively short book, it was a slow burner that's for sure and I was desperate for the pace to pick up because I knew if/ when it did, there was a possibility this book could be something quite spectacular. Well I didn't DNF, I persevered and thank god I did because once Charlotte and Porter's story clicked, I absolutely devoured both books in the space of 24 hours. Yup, they were that good. 

Our situations were different, but the same shade of black 
painted both of our souls. But, as I clung to him, trying to 
perform the impossible task of collecting myself, 
it hit me that the darkness was all we’d ever have

I'm not going to give away too much about the story because this is one for each of you to savour yourselves. What I will say is, prepare yourselves because what transpires in this duet will undoubtedly break your heart. Yes it will be pieced back together but that journey will be a slow, agonising and very painful one. Porter and Charlotte had both lived through their own personal hell, each of them savagely beaten and broken by the hand fate they had been dealt. Porter had a reason to live but Charlotte, well for Charlotte, it was like time had stood still and she was unable to move on, barely surviving the events of her past. It was difficult not to be affected by each of their stories, my heart aching for both of them. I rooted for this couple to find some semblance of happiness in what appeared to be such a dark place for them. 

When I broke, Porter was there to pick up the pieces. 
And, when Porter lost sight of the light, I was there to hold him in the darkness. 
No questions. No judgments. No faking it. No apologies.

For Charlotte and Porter I knew the road to a HEA was going to be as bumpy as hell and the more I read, the more I was desperate to join the dots of their stories. Did I work things out? Yes. Was it a little predictable? I'd say so but that didn't make it any less gut wrenching. Now the second book " The Brightest Sunrise," well that book just left me devastated. The turn of events felt so realistic and so believable and I found myself wondering what I would do if I was in Porter and Charlotte's impossible situation. There really wasn't a right or wrong answer and I just felt so devastated for them. 

Now I can't finish my review without talking about Porter Reece. That man seriously got under my skin and wormed his way into my heart almost immediately. He was so devoted to his kids. He was funny and had alpha tendencies too. He was just such a perfect package and so easy to fall for. 

Sticks and stones will break my bones, 
but words will never harm me.
Bullshit.
Words destroyed me. 

So all in all a really great duet that I thank my lucky stars I didn't DNF. I rated it ❤️❤️❤️❤️.25

The Darkest Sunrise: ❤️❤️❤️❤️

The Brightest Sunset: ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

No comments:

Post a Comment