Thursday 6 July 2017

Review: Lucy Vine's "Hot Mess

Amazon.com: Not currently available 

Synopsis: 

Have you ever shown up to Sunday brunch still smelling of Saturday night?
Chosen bed, Netflix and pizza over human contact?
Stayed in your mould-ridden flat because it's cheap?

Meet your spirit animal, Ellie Knight. 
Her life isn't turning out exactly as she planned. 
She hates her job, her friends are coupling up and settling down, and her flatmates are just plain weird.

Some people might say she's a hot mess but who really has their sh*t together anyway? For fans of Fleabag and Girls, this is a fresh and funny coming-of-age story with a single-girl heroine that will speak to millennials everywhere.

Review: Jo 

"Hot Mess" was fresh, entertaining and fun. This was a story that made me smile big and chuckle with every turn of the page. Ellie Knight was single, approaching thirty and the pressure was on to meet the man of her dreams. When I began reading this story, I immediately expected a "Bridget Jones" style read, however it turned out to be completely different and a refreshing change to books I had previously read. 

This book followed Ellie through the precarious world of dating as well as the relationships that she shared with her family and friends. Ellie's adventures were laugh-out-loud funny. I found the whole story easy to relate to. A realistic and amusing look at the life of a young single woman. It took me back to my days of dating and the endless bad experiences I had trying to find "The One" as well as the unrelenting questions from family and friends about needing a boyfriend in my life. The struggle was real! 

I giggled my way through Ellie's encounters and couldn't help but wonder if she was ever going to find her Mr Right. But this book wasn't all about finding love, it was also about the secondary characters in Ellie's world. I loved Ellie's family and friends as much as I loved Ellie. especially Ellie's "Neighbours" loving Dad and her six year old niece that acted like a teenager. As well as the fun and laughter shared between Ellie and the gang, there was also some serious moments as Ellie contemplated her life choices and there was also part that brought tears to my eyes. 

This story was like a breath of fresh air. It brightened up my day no end and it was well worth the read.

"Hot Mess" gets 4 hearts from me. 




No comments:

Post a Comment