Friday 7 July 2017

Review: Alison G bailey's "Present Perfect."

Amazon.com:   http://amzn.to/2tpJW1B
Amazon UK:     http://amzn.to/2snBLOu

Synopsis:

I’ve been unsure about many things in my life except for one thing, that I have always loved him. Every single minute of every single day that I have been on this earth, my heart has belonged to him. It has never been a question, never a doubt. The love had taken on many different forms over the years, but it had always been a constant. 

Everyone has their definition of love. There have been countless songs sung about it. A gazillion books, articles, and poems written about it. There are experts on love who will tell you how to get it, keep it, and get over it. 

We’re led to believe love is complicated. It’s not the love that’s complicated. It’s all the crap that we attach to it and put in front of it that makes it difficult. If you’re smart, you’ll realize this before it’s too late and simplify.

Amanda Kelly spent her entire life trying to control every aspect of it, while striving for perfection. Her obsession with being perfect, along with her feelings of worthlessness, consumed her. The one thing she thought was perfect in her life was the bond she shared with her best friend, Noah. 

Everything was going according to her life plan until she woke up one day and realized she had fallen in love with him. The one thing she couldn’t control was the affect he had on her. Noah had the power to give her one hundred lifetimes of happiness, which also gave him the power to completely devastate her. He was the one thing in her life that was perfect, but she couldn't allow herself to have him.

Her life begins to unravel. Events take over and force her to let go of her dreams and desires. She needs to realize that a person cannot control the events in their life, only their reaction to them...but will it be too late for her to save her relationship with her best friend? 

Present Perfect is a story of how past events have present consequences and how perfect your present could be if you stopped fighting and just allowed it to happen.

Review: Surj 

Oh lordy, Alison G Bailey's "Present Perfect" was one of those books that was just so frustratingly brilliant. Yes I know, those two words contradict one another but honestly, by the time I turned the last page, that is exactly how I felt. I almost breathed a sigh of relief after I'd turned the last page and my kindle was right there alongside me, thanking me for the life it still had and the near death experience it had dodged. Uh huh, this book will make you want to hurl your e reader at the wall time and time again as you pull your hair out at the actions and decisions of some of the characters. But fear not, that didn't make this a bad book. It just made it a realistic, honest story that was so relatable.

Noah deserved perfect because he was, and I was as far from perfect as you could get.

"Present Perfect" was a coming of age, childhood best friends to more kind of story but definitely not in the conventional sense of the word because that would have just been way too easy. I'm not going to give too much away think about all those insecurities you had growing up, all those raging hormones making life as difficult as possible, making you over think and over analyse things to the point where you convinced yourself that things were 10 times worse than what they were. Think about how you just wanted to fit in and how scared and vulnerable that often made you. Think about boy crushes and first loves. Think about when you just knew you had found the one. This book encompassed all of these elements and I think because so many of us have been through some if not all of these things, even if (like me) you wanted to scream and shout and the characters, you also understood where they were coming from. Hind sight is a wonderful thing and I'm sure if these characters were real and had the opportunity to have a do over, they probably wouldn't be so hard on themselves. 

"If there's no such thing as perfect then, why does the word exist?"

In terms of the characters, i felt so many mixed emotions towards them. I loved them, I felt so sorry for them, my heart broke for them but mostly, I just wanted to sit them down and tell them in years to come, they would look back and wished they'd grabbed every opportunity fear prevented them from embracing. 

"Present Perfect" was such a fab young adult/ new adult story that was full (and I mean literally full) to the brim with drama that drove me bonkers, a truck load of angst that made my heart hurt and a story line that ensured I couldn't put this book down. I read this one in a day!!!

"I may not have gotten all the beauty, intelligence or talent, 
but I got Noah Stewart, the one "perfect" thing I could claim as mine 
and I wouldn't trade him for anything in the world." 

A great introduction to Alison G Bailey and I rated it ❤️❤️❤️❤️

No comments:

Post a Comment